Mariner Swim Club Head Coach and Program Director
Gilman School, Baltimore Maryland
We are seeking a Head Coach and Program Director (“Head Coach”) to oversee all aspects of our competitive swim program, with direct coaching responsibilities. The overall objective of the position is to continue to guide and grow a USA swimming program that produces the highest attainable levels of competitive excellence in individual and team performance, while fostering a positive environment that fulfills MSC goals and vision.
- Serve as the overall Head Coach and Competitive Director for the team’s competitive program, providing leadership and guidance to the team’s committee chairs and administrators.
- Develop the team’s training group structure, team policies
- Group structure includes 6 levels plus swim school.
- Manage day-to-day operating issues, including (but not limited to):
- Facilities procurement and management
- Recruiting of novice swimmers and swimmer retention
- Drive regular staff meetings
- Plan Team Practice Schedule and Meet Schedule, including team and coaches travel, meet entry assignments, and other meet administrative duties
- Primary coaching responsibility will be for the senior swim group, but other coaching assignments may be included
- Evaluate Training plans and goals for Swimmer Development for all athletes at all levels, including managing the planning of training cycles in conjunction with group lead coaches
- Plan and lead all‐member parent meetings (in accordance with bylaws and in coordination with the Board of Directors)
- Manage and delegate administrative duties
- Enforce Team and LSC Policy and Procedures
- Attend team Board of Directors meeting and provide monthly reports as to the status, policies and activities of the team and its staff
- Finance responsibilities including:
- Assist in preparation of an annual operating budget (to include coaches’ pay) with the team treasurer and administrative/business manager for Board approval.
- Implement and manage expenditures in accordance with approved budget.
- Review and gain Board approval for any required changes to budget.
- Communication responsibilities including but not limited to:
- board, swimmers, coaches, parents, LSC and public relations as well as delegation of communication in a timely fashion as appropriate for the situation
- It is expected that the head coach will foster positive relationships, mentor as appropriate, and communicate well with their coaching staff, swim team members, swim team parents, the swim school director, and the Board of Directors. The Head Coach must develop the skills and talents of the team members and coaching staff while promoting teamwork, sportsmanship and encouraging personal development and excellence. The Head Coach will be expected to work in partnership with Gilman School staff, additional area pool management, Maryland Swimming and other stakeholders and further develop the team’s position as a leading program in Maryland.
Contact Information: Kirsten Lavin, President, Mariner Swim Club